What is a Latex Mattress?
A latex mattress is a propitious mattress that gives an exhilarating experience to the sleeper. Latex is a completely natural product which is obtained by the milky sap of the Rubber tree, scientifically known as the Hevea brasiliensis. The latex sap generally looks like a milky white liquid. It is often combined with other natural substances to form a latex mattress.
When the latex sap is extracted from the rubber trees using organic practices and no harmful chemicals or techniques, it is known as organic latex. Organic latex, hence, when used to make a latex mattress is known as an organic latex mattress.
Is a Latex Mattress Environment Friendly?
Since latex has a natural composition, a latex mattress is an eco-friendly product and also benefits the environment in return. Rubber trees have a high capacity to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and hence, can have a very positive effect on the environment. They absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in huge content and thus, help in the reduction of greenhouse emissions.
This happens because the rubber tree absorbs a large amount of carbon dioxide in one year to produce latex. Since the collection of latex sap does not create any type of pollution or damage to the environment, it is highly environment-friendly.
Types of Latex Mattresses
There are two types of latex mattresses:
- Dunlop Latex Mattresses, and
- Talalay Latex Mattresses
Dunlop latex mattresses use a thick rubber sap and whip it into froth and steam bake it to eventually turn out into a latex mattress. Their mattress is slightly firmer on its bottom side as the natural sediments in the mixture settle to the bottom of the mold.
On the other hand, Talalay latex mattresses have two steps. In the first step, the latex is poured into the mold which is sealed and the process goes on in a vacuum chamber. Then, the mold is flash-frozen before getting baked.
Out of the two, Talalay latex has a more consistent cell structure from top to bottom and edge to edge. It is also more expensive and complicated as compared to the Dunlop method.
How is a Latex Mattress Generally Made?
To be converted into a mattress, the latex sap undergoes various processing methods as per the firmness required.
PROCESS OF MAKING LATEX MATTRESSES:
- As rubber tree is the main component in the making of latex mattresses, first and the foremost, deep spiral cuts are made into the trunk diagonally.
- Once the sap oozes out and flows, it is collected in a vessel. It almost flows continuously for six hours. Once stopped, the tree is tapped again so that more fluid can be collected.
- After collection, latex begins to coagulate when exposed to direct sunlight which leads to hardening it. So, the collection is usually done at night or early in the morning and immediately transferred into large airtight buckets.
- Once the proper collection is done, latex is processed within twenty-four hours of harvesting.
- In the processing factory, latex is transferred into large cylindrical stainless-steel tanks through a sieve to remove unwanted particles or lumps.
- The shafts inside the tanks spin rapidly and hence, combine the latex with air to produce a thick foamy paste.
- Once the latex gets as foamy and bouncy as required, it has to be molded into a solid mattress. For that purpose, usually, the Dunlop method is used in which the foam is poured into a large rectangular mould. Eventually, the mould is shut and heated to a high temperature in a process called vulcanization.
- Once the vulcanization is done, the mattress is taken out of the mould and sprayed with water to clean up any soapy compounds.
- After washing, the mattress is placed into an oven where it is baked to remove any excess moisture.
- Then, each mattress undergoes quality inspection. After that, grading of the mattresses is done based on the quality and other important factors.
- Last but not least, each good quality mattress is individually stitched and carefully trimmed to give it a sharply defined outline.
Benefits of Sleeping on a Latex Mattress
There are innumerous benefits of sleeping on a latex mattress. It is one of the best materials to sleep on, especially for people with an active lifestyle. It is also as good for pregnant ladies, senior citizens, and even infants. Some of the main benefits of sleeping on a latex mattress are:
- Sleeping on a latex mattress makes a person ecstatically happy. The mattress conforms to the body in such a way that it helps aligning the spinal column to eventually improve the posture and get rid of postural deformities.
- A latex mattress also improves the pressure points throughout the body due to which, the sleeper gets immense relief from body pain if any. It also helps in the prevention and reduction of body pain with time. A latex mattress is especially great for people who are suffering from chronic back and shoulder pain.
- Pressure distribution gets better by sleeping on a latex mattress. Hence, it also improves the blood circulation of the body.
- Unlike other mattresses, a latex mattress has the ability to recover from the pressure put on it. Hence, it does not produce permanent indentations on the top layer, even after regular use.
- This in turn also proves the fact that latex mattresses do not sink under the weight of the sleeper.
- It also adjusts to the curves of the body of the sleeper, making it suitable for the side as well as back sleepers.
- A latex mattress has elasticity and natural springiness to it which makes it very comfortable and relaxing to sleep on.
- A latex mattress gives an instant buoyant supportive sensation as soon as someone lies on it. This makes it very comfortable as well as supportive.
- Latex mattresses also have the ability to isolate or divide motion transfer without distracting other areas of the mattress. Thus, sleeping on a latex mattress avoids any type of disturbance, even if the sleeping partner tosses and turns a lot.
- Another unique trait of a latex mattress is that it does not make any noise while bearing weight.
- A latex mattress is an eco-friendly product, hence environmentally responsible. Instead of harming nature, it helps it and promotes the growth of the rubber tree.
- If grown using organic methods, a latex mattress is resistant to moulds, dust mites and allergens. This makes it ideal for infants as well as pregnant ladies.
- A latex mattress has excellent air circulation as latex has a natural open-cell structure and overall, it is very breathable.
- Latex mattresses provide a cool sleep all night long as they have temperature regulation properties.
- Although the life span of a mattress depends upon its maintenance, a latex mattress can easily last for 25 years. Hence, latex mattresses are highly durable and if treated properly, they can even last for as long as 40 years.
- A latex mattress provides an overall good environment for our bodies as we sleep as they have zero metal content in them. They do not amplify electromagnetic radiation as they are made up of completely natural substance.
A latex mattress is a worthy, one-time investment as it has in numerous benefits and delivers a stellar quality of performance. The comfort and support offered by a latex mattress are unique and matchless. Overall, it is a mattress to serve every body’s needs.