Find the Best Pillow for Back Sleepers
A recent survey declares that only 10% of people across the globe choose to sleep on their back. While it is the rarest sleeping position, it is one of the best ways for the proper alignment of the spine. Since back sleepers are unique, their pillows are too. If you want the best pillow for back sleepers, this extensive guide might help you make a decision.
However, a scientific study also suggests that most of the back sleepers face discomfort while sleeping. The reason for the same may be either due to their mattress or due to their pillow. Hence, selecting the best pillow for back sleepers is equally important as investing in a good quality mattress.
Why are Back Sleepers the Best Sleepers?
Sleeping on your back is very beneficial for your body and overall health if you choose the right pillow. Want to know why? Here are a few reasons:
- Most importantly, it keeps your spine aligned and straight.
- It also reduces and corrects postural deformities.
- Back sleepers keep their skin away from brushing pillow covers and are lucky to avoid wrinkles, acne, creases, etc.
- Sleeping on your back also reduces pesky tension headaches and helps in battling anxiety.
- Most importantly, it reduces body pain by distributing pressure points in different zones.
Why Do Back Sleepers Experience Neck Pain?
Even if back sleepers choose the right mattress for themselves, they often neglect the importance of a good pillow. If you are a back sleeper, every pillow is not the right one for you. You need to give some extra thoughts to invest in a good pillow too.
Back sleepers usually experience neck pain because their pillow is:
- Too high: Back sleepers shouldn’t sleep on a pillow that has a thickness of around 4 inches or more. They need a flatter surface to lie down and keep their neck and spine aligned.
- Very firm: People sleeping on their sides should opt for a firm pillow but if a back sleeper sleeps on it, chances of a stiff neck are too high. Back sleepers must make sure they sleep on a soft and plush pillow. A stiff pillow will do more harm than good as it will keep your neck flexed all night long. A medium-firm pillow is the best pillow for back sleepers.
- Not supportive: If your pillow is not supportive, the reason being cheap quality or polyester pillows, you are very likely to experience neck pain. The best pillow for back sleepers is one that gives deep area for your their head and roll-shaped area for their neck.
What’s the Solution to find the Best Pillow for Back Sleepers?
While back sleeping is an excellent position, it may prove to be harmful if you do not select the right pillow. Back sleepers must invest in a pillow that not only supports the natural curvature of their body but also provides ample support to their head, neck, and shoulders.
Here are some commonly recommended pillow types that are best suited for back sleepers:
Memory Foam Pillow:
Memory foam pillows are conforming and supportive but they are on a firmer side. They are quite firm when the sleeper lies down, but they use body heat to soften up. While this is not uncomfortable and supportive enough, memory foam pillows trap heat and don’t have cooling abilities.
Natural Latex Pillow:
Natural latex pillows are extremely soft and supportive. They conform to the shape of your head and neck incredibly. Moreover, latex pillows are very good at distributing support throughout the neck and spine. These pillows are very comfortable and breathable, allowing you to sleep cool throughout the night.
Memory Foam vs Latex Pillow: What’s Better for Back Sleepers?
A latex pillow is way better than a memory foam pillow due to the following reasons:
- It is more durable than a memory foam pillow.
- Latex pillows do not sleep hot like memory foam pillows.
- They have excellent air circulation properties that allow a much cooling experience as compared to memory foam pillows.
- Natural latex pillows are highly safe and hypoallergenic, in contrast to memory foam pillows made up of viscoelastic polyurethane.
Which Type of Latex Pillow is the Best Pillow for Back Sleepers?
If you are a back sleeper looking forward to buying a latex pillow, you must go for a Contour Natural Latex Pillow.
Contour natural latex pillow is made up of shredded latex and can also be known as the best pillow for back pain. The contour pillow is also known as “cervical pillow” as it is ergonomically designed to provide immense support to the neck, especially for cervical patients.
The contour natural latex pillow is an orthopedic pillow that is soft, comfortable, and supportive. It is a great pillow that will align your neck and spine properly and will keep neck pain away.
The therapeutic design of a contour pillow helps in alleviating the pressure points of the neck and shoulders. This pillow conforms to the curves of the head and the neck and makes the best pillow for back sleepers.
Back sleeping is usually preferred by adults and they are more prone to body aches too. So, if you sleep on your back, you need a pillow that provides extra cushioning and support to your neck. The best pillow for back sleepers is the one that is not too firm and not too high. It must be able to eliminate your neck pain and keep it away.